June 11, 2011

What do Michael Jackson, the Hubble Space Telescope and my happy mouth have in common?

You're trying to come up with something dirty, aren't you?  Well, it's not, so stop trying.  The correct answer is the year 1988. 

Regan was president, the Hubble Space Telescope was put into operation, Sony Bono was elected mayor or Palm Springs, CA, and the US experienced a severe drought.  Bettlejuice, Rain Man, and Die Hard were in the theatres and it only cost $3.50 to see them.  Average rent was $420.  A gallon of gas would cost you a dollar, stamps were 24 cents and a winemaker was putting a cork in a bottle of wine.  

If I could pull a 'Back to the Future' move and get a message to my 12 year old self in 1988 that on the evening of June 10, 2011 I would have the pleasure of sitting down to a home cooked authentic Italian meal in Chicago (where the 35 year old me now resides) with totally amazing friends and enjoy a bottle of 1988 Chianti opened special for the occasion, my 12 year old self probably would have said something like, "So?" with a doubtful, crinkled forehead expression.  

But it happened.  And it was amazing.  Take that, 12 year old self!

I caught myself wondering, was it the wine itself or the total package of good friends and a family recipe shared around a dinner table full of stories that made me smile and laugh and forget about everything but the moment?  Was it because we were all sharing the experience of the wine that made it taste better?  Did the deliciousness of the wine flavour our conversations in ways ordinary wine couldn't?  

I've poured extravagant wine, wine that could be classified as an orgasm for your mouth, with no special celebration nor company even to toast with and enjoyed it just fine, but felt unfulfilled.  I realize now it is because I am a firm believer that you can have the best experiences, but if you have them alone it's almost like they didn't happen.

Here, consider this....if you were given the opportunity to eat at a three-star Michelin ranked restaurant but had to do it alone, with no dining companion, or be invited to a pot-luck dinner on paper plates in the overgrown backyard with the best of your friends, which would you choose?  Both are great and to some that would be a tough choice; without pause I know my choice.

Life can be really challenging, frustrating, boring or exhilarating, your call.  Moving through this concrete jungle of mine with my best friends experiencing these events with me reminds me not to just go through the motions.  Have something to say about it!  Experience it with every one of the five senses!  No matter if  you choose three-star restarants or "not-squirrel" themed parties.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment